My initial interest in ceramics began as a teenager in 1970s California, then continued through University, and has very much stayed with me to the current day. Over the years I have found the never ending effort to match new forms with various surface decoration techniques very satisfying and inspiring. My current work is fired in a raku kiln, a barrel, or in a pit. (Gallery)
Since moving to the UK I have had the good fortune to create my work in Roberto Gagliano's Brighton studio before transitioning to my own studio 5 years ago. Also, for the last 6 years, I have served as John Evans' kiln technician during his alternative firing techniques workshops in West Sussex. For the last 5 years I've managed one of the kilns at the annual Southern Ceramic Group Raku/Pit Firing day. And, for the last year and a half, I've conducted open monthly raku firing sessions in Brighton. Please click here (Raku Sunday) to see more details about future firing sessions.
Events from the early days included:
Workshop at Earth, Air, Fire, Water in Grass Valley, CA,
Workshop with Dennis Parks in Tuscarora, NV,
The Raku May Days on the beach south of San Francisco.
- 2020 Feb, Coachwerks, Brighton, "Make.Connect" show
- 2019 May and Xmas, Artists Open Houses, Brighton, 169 Preston Drove
- 2019 June Artist Open Houses, Worthing, conducted "Intro to Raku" workshops in collaboration with John Evans Ceramics
- 2018 Art In Clay, Hatfield
- 2018 Artists Open Houses, Brighton
Planned for 2020:
- 2 May-24 May, Artists Open Houses, Brighton at 169 Preston Drove and Coachwerks Studios, (Fiveways trail)
- 31 July-2 Aug, Pots in the Pens, Penrith, Cumbria
- 21-23 Aug, Art in Clay, Hatfield